Tuesday, 18 March 2014

FMP Ideas

For my final major project I have been toying with a few ideas; I'd like the pieces I choose to exhibit to reflect my strengths as well as my interests, so my chosen medium will definitely be film, be it large, medium or 35mmm-format.

I rather like the idea of a very traditional black and white series, uniform prints all mounted and framed however I am struggling with a subject.
One idea was to showcase unusual homes and buildings, for example I often notice the odd little houses that don't match the rest of the street.

e.g This little cottage on School Road, Shirley is right in the middle of a mixture of houses, opposite some very ordinary suburban homes:





This one on Blossomfield Road is completely different from the surrounding homes, it’s facing away from the road which to me suggests it could possibly be older than the road itself:







This crooked house is a few hundred yards from Claverdon railway station and is structurally a million miles from the huge houses that are its neighbours:



There are loads of weird and wonderful places like this around this area, and I am genuinely fascinated by them, they’re little anachronisms standing stoically in the middle of “Metroland” ribbon developments.

I would have to recce lots of locations to pursue this idea, and contact the owners of the homes to get permission to photograph them, especially if I were to use a large format camera.

I should also think about how I would convey the idea of them being different to their surroundings with or without including other houses in the frame.


I have also considered making the most of my home in Wales as  a base for exploring Snowdonia and photographing the welsh mountains, however having to rely on the Welsh weather and waiting for the right lighting conditions would mean completing a series within the given time scale would prove difficult.




Another (radically different) idea was to do a series looking at people who not only work with their hands but are reliant on machines. This stems from my interest in tattooing and it may work well to pursue other professions rather than focusing solely on tattooing and body modification.

For example, a tattooist is reliant on a machine to reproduce an image onto skin; a photographer is reliant on a camera to reproduce an image in print; a hairdresser/barber is reliant on their scissors and razor to provide their service; so I thought of photographing the tools of the trade in some way, focusing mainly on them in the hands of their operators rather than the actual people.







Staying with the tattoo theme I also have considered using the tattoo machines to create a portrait of the artist.

Whilst researching tattoo artists I came across an exhibition of oil paintings by the tattooist Nikko Hurtado, and this particular piece caught my eye:

I set about making a copy of this image to see how well it could work as a photograph, and managed to find a frame in a pound shop, chopped up a red velvet skirt from a charity shop and used cheap costume jewellery (also from a charity shop) to recreate this for myself.











I borrowed a tattoo machine and grip, and after stretching the fabric over the back of the frame, propped the machine up on nails; I used two household lamps to light it and this was the result.














It cost less than a tenner to make, and as a practice I am very happy indeed with it, however it looks much better as a cropped image (which could then be displayed in a rococo frame to better mimic the original):





I would expand this still-life kind of set-up by constructing a themed composition to reflect the personalities and tastes of each artist, like a portrait of them using their machines.











11 comments:

  1. You have come up with 3 interesting ideas especially the third idea as I have never seen anything like that & you can tell it is personal to you. However I think you should go for idea number 1 because I would like to see the outcome of these photographs & how you will put your own twist to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see you do option 2 with a large format camera. You would be able to get some great Ansel Adams photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have come up with 3 great ideas and are all different and unique from each and other. Out of all your ideas I think the first one will be your best beat just because I can imagine you creating some great black&white film prints. I have noticed you have just looked up around our area but why don't you try it in wales as its more of your home town and could get some great landscape behind the houses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the third idea is your strongest and that it best represents you, I like the idea of creating portraits without actually shooting the person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think shooting the houses maybe difficult and would you shooting the houses straight on?
    I think your strongest and most interesting is the last idea. It is really interesting to see a portrait of the tattoo artist. This would be a project that I haven't seen before and as it is representing a portrait if a new way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the second and third ideas would work really well. I'm partial to landscape photography, so I would love to see Wales captured in B&W film, but I also think that the third idea of creating portraits without people is really original and would be really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the first idea would be interesting to document unusual houses amongst normal everyday houses. I also like the idea of creating portraits without the person would be good so the third idea is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nos I think you should do the third idea. Remember we spoke in Barcelona and it seemed this is the one you feel strongest about. Although doing the landscapes maybe with large format camera could be quite interesting and would give you extra experience. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much guys! Will return the favour now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nos all of your ideas are brilliant and I think doing the landscapes could maybe quite interesting with using a large formate camera. Also I think you should do your third idea, as you are really passionate about. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Llinos, you are always coming up with great ideas and I am very proud at your continued use of traditional photography. all 3 ideas have great starting points, the first idea should be an on going series that could be built up over a long period of time, and as for your landscapes which would be beautiful, are not challenging enough for you. the 3rd idea, not only reflects your passion for tattooing but also has a great context, individual and a challenge for you. good luck

    ReplyDelete